Child’s Play is pleased to announced the launch of our Domestic Violence program. The DV program was created to assist children in domestic violence shelters and advocacy centers through video games and the power of interactive play. These resources can be powerful tools in engaging and entertaining children who have experienced trauma, creating and reinforcing social bonds, and empowering children in a difficult time. As with each of Child’s Play’s endeavors, the DV program is supported by the charitable generosity of the video game industry and its community.
It’s crucial for our program to provide games that will be entertaining and relevant for the kids, but that will also be appropriate for both their age and the sensitive nature of their circumstances. Each game has been reviewed for suitability with the unique needs and desires of domestic violence facilities kept in mind. Feedback is both welcome and encouraged.
The Domestic Violence Program will open annually for applications each spring, which will stay open for approximately two months. After applications close, accepted facilities will be notified, and we will prepare a shipment of game carts, televisions, and games to be delivered in time for the holiday season. Once accepted into the program, facilities will receive annual game support to supplement the original donation.
Applications are open now until until July 30, 2014: Domestic Violence Program Application Please feel free to share this form with the shelter or advocacy center in your area. If you have any questions, please email [email protected].
Break out your argyle socks and get ready for an afternoon of competition for the kids! We’re pleased to invite the game industry and community to our Fourth Annual Child’s Play Invitational Golf Tournament, taking place Sunday, June 22nd at Willows Run Golf Course in Redmond, WA - it’s going to be bigger and better than ever!
The golf tournament will be held on the Coyote Creek course at Willows Run. It’s a beautiful par 72 and, as in previous years, will be run scramble format - even inexperienced golfers can have fun contributing to their team! You’ll get a box lunch, we’ll have the drink carts making rounds, and there are multiple snack/drink shacks on the course. At the end of the day everyone will gather at the clubhouse for an awards mixer and BBQ! Golf tournament tickets are available here.
New this year is our Child’s Play Mini Golf Tournament! Willows is home to Rainbow Run, an 18 hole putting course. Once you wrap up an intense round of putt-putt, join the other golfers and spectators for the BBQ and awards ceremony. Mini golf tournament tickets are available here.
Not interested in golfing but want to join the fun? We’ll also have spectator seating available this year! Lounging in the shade of the 18th hole, you’ll have a perfect view of golfers and easy access to the clubhouse, restaurant, and bar. Cheer on the golfers and enjoy the view, then join in on the awards mixer and BBQ celebration at the end of the day! Spectator tickets are available here.
If your company is interested in becoming a sponsor of the 2014 Child’s Play Invitational, please contact Jamie Dillion ([email protected]) for details- there are lots of opportunities and ways to help, and we’d love to hear from you.
All proceeds go to partner hospitals and domestic violence facilities in the Child’s Play network in support of our mission: to improve the lives of children in traumatic situations through the power of play. Thank you, and we’ll see you on the course!
Child’s Play is offering an internship program for individuals studying or are interested in non-profit project management, public relations, or administration. You’ll be working directly with the Child’s Play team to keep the foundation running on a day to day basis. The position requires you live in or around Redmond, WA. Basic duties can be broken down into the following three categories:
- Accounting for and managing contributions
- Filing forms and paperwork for corporate giving programs
- Issuing receipts for incoming donations
- Generation and editing of documents to assist donors, companies, and more in their interactions with Child’s Play (fundraising guides, media kits, website copy, etc.)
- Quick responses to community and corporate FAQs
- Assist with preparations for our annual golf tournaments and dinner auction
- Interns for the summer and winter seasons will be on-site at our golf tournament/dinner auction to assist with event setup and execution
- Coordinate fundraising event calendar by reviewing submissions and providing feedback to planners
- Assisting community event coordinators with the basics of their events (event calendar submissions, widget setup, providing logos and other materials)
- Generation of materials to assist with community events
This is what we are looking for:
- You need to have a crazy-person level of attention to detail
- You need to be smart - the workplace you will be part of are filled with people at the top of their game
- You should have a passion for the cause
- You should be familiar with video games and gaming culture, including game rating systems
- Strong project management skills, organizational skills and time-management skills
- You should be able to lift 50 lb boxes short distances
- You should have no problems working in a creative and potentially offensive environment (please see Penny Arcade: The Series for reference)
- The ability to communicate and work well in a team environment as well as on an individual basis
- You should have no problem appearing on camera
Here are some other things we’re using to select candidates:
- You need to have a solid understanding of Excel, PDF generation, Google Drive and Gmail
- Intent for a career in non-profit work
- Experience with Photoshop and Illustrator is a plus
As this is an internship, we do want to ensure you have some solid takeaways from your experience. During your interview process we’ll talk about your goals, but here’s what you can expect:
- Exposure to and understanding of the logistics of being part of a low-overhead, efficient, and impact focused nonprofit
- Familiarity with nonprofit related software and organizations: Guidestar, Easymatch, United Way, etc.
- Interaction with an engaged, passionate community and acquiring a deeper understanding of grassroots fundraising methods
- Event coordination methods for fundraising events of 200-700 people
- Best practices for producing materials for media, grassroots fundraisers, beneficiaries and more.
Compensation & Timing
- Timeline: Immediate
- Duration: 3 months
- Hours: Minimum 20, up to 40 hours per week
- Compensation: Hourly
Cover letters with resumes are due on February 5th, 2014, emailed directly to [email protected] with the subject “Child’s Play Internship Application”. You will receive a confirmation email.